Home Page

What should I do if I think my child has SEN?

If you have any concerns with regards to your child’s progress or attainment, please speak to their class teacher in the first instance, as they have the most knowledge about your child.  In addition, you may also contact the SENCO (Mrs Tabberer).  Both the teacher and the SENCO will be able to inform and advise you on the next steps to be taken to ensure you child makes the necessary progress.


To assist you, The Code of Practice (2014) outlines 4 areas of SEND:


Communication and Interaction

This includes children with speech and language delay, impairments or disorders, specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia, hearing impairment, and those who demonstrate features within the autistic spectrum.


Cognition and Learning

This includes children who demonstrate features of moderate, severe or profound learning difficulties or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia or dyspraxia.


Social, Mental and Emotional Health

This includes children who may be withdrawn or isolated, disruptive or disturbing, hyperactive or lack concentration.


Sensory and/or Physical Needs

This includes children with sensory, multi-sensory and physical difficulties.

Behavioural difficulties do not necessarily mean that a child or young person has a SEND and should not automatically lead to a pupil being registered as having SEND.

The following are not considered to be SEND but they may impact on progress and attainment:

  • disability (if reasonable adjustments can be made - SEND Code of Practice 0-25)
  • attendance and punctuality
  • health and Welfare
  • EAL (English as an additional language)
  • being in receipt of Pupil Premium Grant
  • being a looked after child and
  • being a child of a Serviceman/woman